Sunday, August 28, 2011

A lesson in Lasagna

If you know me at all,
you know that
I DON'T EAT CHEESE.

In my attempts to be a good wife,
I have started cooking with cheese.

A few months ago, I tackled
lasagna (Jake's favorite food).

The recipe called for Parmesan, 
mozzarella, and ricotta cheese.
Excuse me, what is ricotta?

I went to the supermarket and 
found the Parmesan easily enough...

Then I went to the deli and they sliced
me up some fresh mozzarella 
(only the best for Jake!)...

Then I asked for this mysterious "ricotta."
The man behind the counter 
was stumped.  He said deli's
don't carry ricotta.

So he sent me to the fancy cheese 
section, and sure enough, I found a
wedge of "ricotta." The recipe
called for 16 oz. and this thing came in
lbs, but oh well.  I found it.  Great!

It was a little pricey, but
I bought it and took it home.
The recipe then tells me to combine
the ricotta cheese with an egg.
Strange...but hey, I've never
made lasagna before!  

So I grated up that ricotta cheese
and mixed it with an egg.
It looked very...clumpy.

A few hours later, 
the masterpiece was complete:

Jake and the missionaries loved it
(at least that's what they told me).

A day or two later, I was shopping
at Target and came across this:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...(Picture the
proverbial lightbulb above my head).
So THAT's why my mom's
lasagna contained something
 cottage cheese-y. 

Well, lesson learned.
Next time I'm skipping the
fanciness and going straight
to this crockpot lasagna.
5 ingredients,
no ricotta,
done. 


4 comments:

mj said...

three cheers for crock pots. i seriously love that recipe.

Andrea said...

heh heheh heh!

Kevin and Eliza said...

Love it! Way to go.

Tammy said...

I have a great lasagna recipe that uses cream cheese instead of ricotta... so delicious. I have never heard of ricotta that you grate, that is fabulous!