Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Memories

Since Jake is at work today
and the little one and I have no plans,
I've had time to think about 
Thanksgiving from years past.

I'll never forget my Thanksgiving 
in China, and how I made pumpkin
pie in a toaster oven using layered
tinfoil as a makeshift pie tin.

I always chuckle about the
Thanksgiving when my younger
brother fell down some stairs and split
his head, and my dad refused to take
him for stitches until after dessert.

I spent TWO Thanksgivings in
Belize, where I relaxed by the pool
and ate the most American food
I could find: a hamburger. 

But my most memorable Thanksgiving
was the one in 2009: the one that
changed my life.

It was the year I moved to DC.
I wasn't planning on going home for
Thanksgiving, but my mom surprised me
and offered to buy me a plane ticket.

My flight was the last one 
out of DCA to SLC on the night 
before Thanksgiving. As I was waiting to 
board the plane, a curly haired fellow walked
up and said hi. He told me he remembered
me from a singles ward Thanksgiving party
the week before. I can't say I recognized him,
but he was nice and we chatted until it 
was time to board the plane. 

His name was Jake.

I spent the whole flight studying for 
the GRE. Upon landing, I made my way 
downstairs and camped out near baggage claim 
to wait for my ride. Jake saw me there,
and once again he stopped to chat.

I was flattered that he sought me 
out twice, and I couldn't help but notice his 
great smile, dimples, and of course that
curly hair. Finding out that he was older than me
didn't hurt either! Jake had left his impression,
and was on my mind the rest of that
Thanksgiving weekend.

I didn't see him again for three weeks,
this time at an Institute fireside back in DC.
I turned up the charm, and after 45 minutes
of chatting he finally asked for my number. 

One thing led to another, including our
first date in Park City and a cross-country road 
trip that I'll have to write about another day. 

And the rest, as they say, is history!

So this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for all of 
the events that brought Jake and I together, 
and for the wonderful life we now share.

And here's hoping that we'll spend
Thanksgiving together one of these years!

2 comments:

Jena said...

Perfect story. That makes me so happy!

jenni said...

Just came across this post. I remember how excited you were about this curly haired kid. Nothing is a coincidence, right? I hope you three are well.