Sunday, April 24, 2011

A tale of Easter kindness

When I was working for Norwegian
Cruise Line, I spent about 4 months 
sailing in and out of New Orleans.
I was able to attend church regularly
at a singles branch in the city, as my ship
docked on Sundays.

I met some great people in that branch,
including two young ladies named Autumn 
and Thaidra.  A week before Easter,
they invited me over to their house the
following Sunday for Easter dinner.
Unfortunately, I always had to be back
on the ship at 4 pm, and so I explained I wouldn't
have time to go home with them after church.

Well, the next week when I showed up for
church (on Easter Sunday), these two
sweet sisters had prepared for me
an Easter picnic to take back to the ship.

The meal was delicious, and consisted
of a chicken salad sandwich (on a croissant),
deviled eggs, and poppyseed cake.  I'll 
never forget sitting outside the ship on a 
bench and quietly enjoying that meal,
which was prepared with love.
I was very touched
by their thoughtfulness and grateful
that I could celebrate Easter in some way.

I've thought of this experience every
year on Easter since it happened, in 2008.
I've always wanted to recreate that meal
and that special memory.

So that was our dinner this year on Easter
(Autumn and Thaidra were kind enough
to share with me the recipes).


Hope everyone had a great Easter Sunday!
As my mom reminded me via a text this morning,
Easter is truly the most hopeful day of the year.

5 comments:

Autumn said...

Bethany,
Thanks for sharing! Your presentation of the meal is much better than our ziplocks and containers. :) I suddenly have the urge to make the poppyseed cake...I haven't made it in forever! Love ya,
Autumn

Unknown said...

What a sweet story and it sounds extremely yummy!

Andrea said...

whoops ~ that was me!

Trenda said...

I never heard that story before . . . how sweet of them! It all looks so yummy! :)

Hannah said...

First of all, that was such a great story of those sweet sisters! Secondly, I loved that you sat on the dock and ate your food. That is such a perfect thing for you! Thirdly, your food looks incredible! You are one incredible wife!