Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lights up on Washington Heights...

...up at the break of day
I wake up and I got this little punk I gotta chase away
Pop the grate at the crack of dawn, sing
While I wipe down the awning
Hey ya'll good morning

These are the opening lyrics to a musical
called "In the Heights".  Jake and I are HUGE
fans.  I'd seen it in New York back in 2009,
but Jake had only listened to (and memorized) 
the soundtrack.


So when we found out that "In the Heights" was
ending its Broadway run, we immediately (or should
I say impulsively?) bought plane tickets to 
New York and tickets to the show.

The show was amazing.  
I think that seeing it helped us get the music out of our 
system a little (let's just say that Jake has finally picked 
new music to sing in the shower in the mornings).

While we were at it, we enjoyed checking
out the sites in Manhattan.  I had never
been there at Christmastime before, and it 
was fun to see the changes that the 
holidays brought to the city.

Like Times Square...

And the Rockefeller Tree...


The skating rink (Aw, we witnessed a 
happy couple get engaged)...

The Macy's holiday windows...


And even the annual SantaCon pub crawl.

Only in New York!

Not only did Jake get to see "In the Heights,"
but he had another dream come true when
we found Pommes Frites, a tiny hole in the wall
that specializes in french fries and sauces.

Jake was in heaven!

We taste tested many sauces, and ultimately
picked Dill Lemon Mayo, Pomegranate
Teriyaki Mayo, and Curry Ketchup Especial.

Another food highlight was wining (with
complimentary sparkling water) and dining
at a little Italian restaurant that we happened upon.

It was the perfect place to rest our feet after 
walking all day and enjoy a hot and delicious meal.

We capped off our weekend by going 
to church downtown and then grabbing burgers
before heading to the airport.  

Almost missed our flight home, but that's another story...

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Oooo la la!!! How fun!! I love all your pictures and your coat is fabulous!! Glad you had a lovely time!

Kevin and Eliza said...

Sounds like a blast! I will have to listen to the music of "In the Heights". What a fun french fry place. Thanks for sharing your good times.

Unknown said...

oh fun! I'd love to have some pommes frites :)

Hannah said...

How did I miss this whole experience of yours over the holidays? I mean, I know you have talked about it before, but somehow I missed the actual event...

It looks amazing! I am going to NY in May and will have to get info from you on the best haunts!